Strength and Flexibility: Improve Your Health with 7 Shoulder Exercises
Your shoulder movements and flexibility can have a significant impact on your overall fitness and wellbeing. Whether you want to avoid injury, build muscle or simply stay in shape, there are certain exercises you can do to unlock the power in your shoulders and reach your fitness goals.
The Benefits of Shoulder Exercises
Shoulder exercises are an important part of a balanced fitness regimen. When combined with a healthy diet and plenty of aerobic exercise, your shoulders will become more mobile and flexible, activating more muscles. This can lead to improved physical health and performance. Additionally, strong and flexible shoulders have the added benefit of helping to reduce the risk of injury.
The Benefits of Good Posture
Good posture is paramount when it comes to shoulder health. When you are sitting or standing, make sure your shoulders are pulled back and rotated slightly outward. When you lift, maintain good form and use the strength of your legs and hips to perform the movements. When combined with the exercises below, you’ll enjoy the benefits of improved posture in no time.
7 Shoulder Exercises to Build Strength and Flexibility
1. Shoulder Press: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and hold a pair of dumbbells just above your shoulders. Push the dumbbells up and above your head and then slowly lower them back down.
2. Lat Pull-Down: Sit in a lat pull-down machine and hold the bar with a wide grip. Pull the bar down until it reaches your upper chest and then slowly let it back up.
3. Upright Row: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and hold a barbell in front of your hips. Pull the barbell up toward your chin and squeeze your shoulder blades as you raise the bar.
4. External Rotation: Lie on a bench and hold a weight in one hand. Slowly bring the weight out to the side of your chest and then rotate it outward and back in to the center.
5. Rear Delt Flys: Sit in a chair and hold a dumbbell in each hand. Bend forward slightly and lift the weights out to the side until your arms are extended and parallel to the floor.
6. Shrugs: Hold a pair of dumbbells and shrug your shoulders up. Hold the peak position for five to ten seconds and then slowly lower your shoulders back down.
7. Lateral Shoulder Raises: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and hold a dumbbell in each hand. Lift the weights out to the side and up to shoulder level and then slowly lower them back down.
Start Strengthening and Flexing Your Shoulders Today!
Improving your strength and flexibility in the shoulders can be easy and enjoyable. Regular practice of the exercises outlined above can bring you closer to your fitness and health goals. Try to incorporate these exercises into workouts at least two to three days a week to make the most of the benefits.