Are you looking to make a change in your diet and lifestyle? A flexitarian diet could be the answer! Flexitarianism is an increasingly popular eating plan, combining the best of vegetarian and omnivorous diets while offering plenty of flexibility.
What Is the Flexitarian Diet?
Flexitarianism is an eating plan that emphasizes vegetarian meals and recipes but allows for occasional consumption of animal products. It’s considered a flexible diet, with plenty of variety and balance to suit individual health and lifestyle needs. The goal of a flexitarian diet is to reduce your consumption of animal products in order to feel healthy and vibrant, while still allowing for occasional indulgences.
Health Benefits of a Flexitarian Diet
Flexitarians tend to have higher intakes of fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants than their omnivorous counterparts. This eating plan may also be beneficial for those trying to maintain a healthy weight, as it recommends reducing saturated fat and cholesterol, which can come from animal products like red meat and full-fat dairy.
A flexitarian diet is also beneficial for individuals wishing to reduce their environmental footprint. Eating mostly plant-based foods can significantly reduce your carbon emissions, as plants require fewer resources than animal agriculture.
Tips for Starting a Flexitarian Diet
If you think the flexitarian lifestyle is right for you, here are some tips to get started:
- Start by slowly reducing your consumption of animal products. If you eat a lot of animal products currently, try cutting back to half. Over time, you can steadily decrease your consumption further.
- Focus on the variety and flavor of plant-based ingredients like legumes, grains, nuts, and fruits and vegetables.
- Explore vegetarian cookbooks or blogs for recipes and meal ideas.
- Experiment with plant-based proteins like tofu, tempeh, seitan, and legumes.
- Try incorporating meatless alternatives like veggie burgers and vegan hot dogs into your weekly menu.
- Always be mindful of portion sizes.
The Bottom Line
A flexitarian diet is a great choice for those looking to eat more of a vegetarian diet without making the full switch. With its focus on plant-based, nutrient-dense meals, it’s an excellent way to improve your health and overall wellbeing. And with its flexibility and variety, you don’t have to give up all of your favorite foods. So why not give it a try?