For many expecting mothers, getting a good night’s sleep can seem unattainable. From raging hormones to a new aches and pains, sleeping peacefully during pregnancy can be a challenge. However, good sleep during pregnancy is essential for a healthy mother and baby.
What Are the Benefits of Good Sleep During Pregnancy?
Sleep during pregnancy plays an important role in keeping the mother healthy by decreasing stress and improving restful sleep. Proper restful sleep helps to promote hormone balance, reduce the risk of preterm labor, and prevent the development of gestational diabetes. Expecting mothers who get regular restful sleep have more energy and increased concentration, allowing them to better enjoy the special moments of pregnancy.
What Affects Good Sleep During Pregnancy?
Although every expecting mother is different, there are some common causes of poor sleep during pregnancy. Heartburn, leg cramps, and frequent bathroom visits during the night can cause significant disruption to a mother’s sleep cycle. Additionally, gaining an understanding of the mother’s unique sleep cycle can help mothers get adequate rest.
What Are Some Tips to Get Good Sleep During Pregnancy?
1. Make the bedroom comfortable. Create a sleep-friendly environment with comfortable bedding and a temperature that is not too warm or too cold.
2. Have a bedtime routine and stick to it. A warm bath or reading a book can help encourage sleep. This can be supplemented with aromatherapy using calming essential oils.
3. Exercise regularly. Regular gentle exercise can support overall wellbeing and help relieve insomnia.
4. Avoid electronic devices late at night. Exposing yourself to blue light from electronic devices can interfere with your natural sleep-wake cycle, making it difficult to get restful sleep.
5. Talk to your doctor if you are worried about your sleep. Medication may be appropriate to help manage insomnia if the tips above do not improve sleep.
Good sleep during pregnancy can improve a mother’s health and wellbeing. Taking time to establish a lifestyle that promotes restful sleep is essential for mothers to feel their best before, during, and after pregnancy. By creating a comfortable sleep environment, establishing a routine, and talking to your doctor if needed, pregnant mothers can uncover the key habits to achieve restful sleep and health.