The Many Soothing Benefits of Chamomile Tea
For many people, a soothing cup of chamomile tea is a great way to relax and wind down after a long day. Did you know the benefits of drinking chamomile tea go far beyond just calming the nerves and promoting better sleep? This drink has been used for centuries for a variety of medical and cosmetic remedies. Learn more about chamomile tea and its many health benefits.
What is Chamomile Tea?
Chamomile tea aka, camomile in the UK is an herbal infusion made with dried flowers, stems and leaves of the chamomile plant. It has many health benefits due to its high content of antioxidants, as well as compounds called apigenin, bisabolol and chamazulene.
Soothing Benefits of Chamomile Tea
This herbal tea is especially great for providing relief for a variety of medical and psychological conditions. Here are some of its benefits of drinking chamomile tea:
- Insomnia – can help you relax and sleep better, when used in combination with other products like valerian root and melatonin.
- Digestive issues – relieves stomach discomfort and cramping, as well as gas and bloating.
- Headache and tension relief – helps reduce streaks of tension, headaches and eye strain.
- Allergies, colds and flu – can help sooth the effects of allergies, and reduce the symptoms of the common cold, even if you have flu.
- Skin care – anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties can help with minor irritations, skin eruptions and other skin conditions.
How to Make Chamomile Tea?
Making your own chamomile tea at home is quite simple. You’ll need:
- 1 teaspoon of dried chamomile
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 1 teaspoon of honey, lemon juice or other sweetener (optional)
Add the chamomile flowers to a teacup, and pour boiling water over them. Steep for 5 minutes and strain the infusion. Sweeten with honey or other natural sweeteners like sugar or stevia if desired. Enjoy!
The Bottom Line
As you’ve seen, chamomile tea is one of the most popular herbal infusions with many health benefits. In combination with other relaxation techniques or natural remedies, chamomile tea can be a great way to reduce stress and improve your quality of sleep.
Always make sure to check with your health care provider before adding any new products to your lifestyle. Start benefiting from the soothing effects of chamomile tea today!