What is The First Thing to Look for on a Nutrition Label?
Good nutrition and health go hand-in-hand; it’s not possible to be healthy without good nutrition. That’s why it’s important to be informed about what you eat, and the first thing to look for in nutrition labels before consuming a product is the calories. Calorie information will give you a good idea of where the product sits in terms of nutrition, and can help you to better manage your caloric intake.
When managing your caloric intake, the main things to look for on a nutrition label are:
- Calories per serving: this is the amount of energy a food contains, and how much energy you receive from consuming the food.
- Serving size: this is the amount of food that you should eat in one sitting. The calories per serving will be based on this amount.
Other Nutrition Facts
Next, you should take a look at other nutritional aspects of the product, including:
- Protein: Proteins are essential for building and repairing cells, and can also be a source of energy.
- Fat: Fats can provide energy, and are the source of essential fatty acids and fat-soluble vitamins.
- Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates provide energy, and some can also provide dietary fiber.
- Vitamins and minerals: Vitamins and minerals are essential for good health and well-being.
Finally, it’s important to check the cholesterol and sodium contents of the food. Both of these can have a negative effect on health and should be consumed in moderation.
When looking at nutrition labels, understanding calorie information and other nutrition facts is essential to achieving good nutrition and health. Knowing what to look for in these labels can help you to make better, more informed decisions about the food you eat.