Nasal cancer is a form of cancer that affects the nasal cavity and sinuses. It’s a rare form of cancer but can be very serious if not detected and treated in time. Symptoms of nasal cancer can include nosebleeds, headaches, facial pain or pressure, smell or taste changes, blocked nose, and mucous surfaces. Knowing the symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments for nasal cancer can help patients get the care they need as soon as possible.
Symptoms of Nasal Cancer
If you experience any of the following symptoms, it’s important to get checked out immediately by a medical professional. Signs and symptoms of nasal cancer can include:
- Nosebleeds – frequent, uncontrolled nosebleeds can indicate there is a tumor or other issue.
- Headaches – if you experience frequent or persistent headaches and you aren’t able to get relief from over the counter medications, it’s worth consulting a doctor.
- Facial Pain or Pressure– any kind of pressure in the frontal area of your face should be investigated.
- Smell or Taste Changes– any sudden or unexplained changes in the way you smell or taste can be indicative of tumors.
- Blocked Nose – a blocked nose could indicate a tumor or infection and should be examined immediately.
- Mucous Surfaces – if you notice any strange discharge coming from your nose this could be a sign of something serious.
Diagnosis & Treatment
If you or someone you know is exhibiting any of the symptoms mentioned above, it’s important to visit a doctor as soon as possible for a diagnosis. A doctor will do an initial examination including a physical exam and may also need to do further tests such as a biopsy.
Once a diagnosis of nasal cancer is confirmed, the patient will be referred to an oncologist for treatment. Treatment for nasal cancer typically involves surgery, chemotherapy, or radiotherapy. The type of treatment will depend on the size and location of the tumors.
To reduce the risk of developing nasal cancer, there are steps you can take to help protect yourself. Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol, as these can increase your risk. Additionally, protect yourself from environmental pollutants and get regular medical check-ups. Finally, seek medical help immediately if you notice any of the symptoms discussed above.
Nasal cancer can be a serious condition, but with early diagnosis and treatment, many patients can recover fully. Knowing the signs and symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment options can help you get the care you need.